“Achieving Food Security and Food Sustainability”
In this stars Webinar, stars Alumnus John DIENER, Co-Founder and CEO, Vertical Oceans, Singapore, talked about the challenges of setting up his company, about sustainability, quality, food security and where this industry will be in a couple of years. Some take-aways are:
- Vertical Oceans: start-up that grows sustainable shrimp in huge aquatowers. To see a short introductory video, please click here.
- Context and motivation: aquaculture as a food production model to ensure food security in a sustainable way.
- Unique product: same-day fresh, no chemicals, no antibiotics.
- Going vertical unlocks significant value: fresh-local premium, minimal manpower, energy savings, little land footprint, smaller CO2 footprint.
- First vertical ocean in 2023/24: scaling up rapidly in Europe, North America and Japan.
- Main challenge: establishing a balance between the nutrients added to the system and the nutrients that are converted into a harvestable biomass in that system.
- Trends in food innovation: micro bioprotein production, biomaterials, i.e. leather from mushrooms, seaweed production (cleaning up waters and having interesting ingredients).
- Advice for start-ups: go through a quality accelerator programme, get advice from other people.
To watch the recording of the webinar, please click here.
stars YouTube channel
Did you miss one of our webinars? Watch the recording on the stars YouTube channel and subscribe to receive future content.