In this stars Alumni Lounge, stars Alumnus Domenic von PLANTA, COO, SCHWIND eye-tech-solutions, Kleinostheim, Germany, is discussing and presenting current technologies, future possibilities and how a mid-sized company is constantly innovating to maintain and expand its position among multinational MedTech companies. Some key take-aways in a nutshell:
- SCHWIND eye-tech-solutions is one of the technology leaders for eye lasers for refractive and therapeutic corneal surgery.
- Regulation is a major challenge: in the EU we are seeing increasing timelines and hurdles for market approval whereas in the US and China patients’ safety is not only about protecting patients, but also giving quick access to new innovations and accelerating this process. So, the risk-benefit balance for patients and regulators is the critical issue.
- Swiss companies suffer from market restrictions after the end of the specific bilateral agreement with the EU.
- How does innovation happen at Schwind? As the company is very much focused on refractive surgery, they listen to the demands and ideas of surgeons and collaborate with start-ups re software and treatment.
- The pandemic lead to intensive digital interaction with distributors and clients, i.e. is an opportunity to discuss and meet virtually a broader set of clients.
To watch the recording of the Alumni Lounge, please click here.